Wednesday, May 26, 2010

And the two shall become one...

Man, has it been a crazy few weeks since I last posted! Finishing up my semester and getting my camera fixed for picture posting are just a part of it.

Anyhow, I had to make some cupcakes for a teacher who was leaving due to family emergencies, and to send him off I had to make something different. The usual just wouldn't cut it this time. So I set off to find something comforting, delicious and maybe a bit surprising as well.

After the wildly successful coconut cupcakes, I took another browse through Julie Hasson's book, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes for something new. As I was flipping through the pages, somthing caught my eye.

It couldn't be, I thought, quickly turning back to make sure I'd not been hallucinating. But there it was, the Chocolate Brownie Cupcake. So simple, yet I hadn't though about it before, all the familiar comforts of a brownie with the lighter texture of a cupcake. How would it taste, would the cake become too dense, or would it be so airy as to deny its brownie integrity? I had to know.

Busting out the bowls, sifter, and wooden spoon, I set to work. bout 45 minutes later I pulled these pretties out of the oven.

Don't worry if they sink in the middle, just use the toothpick test to check if they're finished. They should also have a brownie-like crust over the top, it is more obvious once the cupcakes are completely cooled.

Here's another, closer look. Sorry about the lack of frosting, but the camera was still acting up and I couldn't get any pictures of these once they were frosted. They're not the prettiest cupcakes you'll ever see, but they won every taste test hands down.

I iced them with a coffee frosting (they only need a little) made the same way as described in my other post, the Tin Tin Surprise. Just halve the recipe to avoid making too much.

My worries about texture were proven insubstantial as these babies were not too cakey and not too dense, the perfect combo of cupcake and brownie, pcked full of chocolate flavor and then some chocolate chips. This one's a keeper for sure!

Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes (125 Best Cupcake Recipes, by Julie Hasson)
Ingredients:
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt (only if using unsalted butter)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temp
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp almond extract (I don’t use this, I just add more vanilla, but that’s optional)
3 eggs
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (about ½ of one 12 oz bag)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
2. In a medium sixed bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt
3. In a larger bowl, whisk together (or use a good ol’ wooden spoon) granulated and brown sugars and butter until smooth. Mix in the extracts and then beat in the eggs one at a time until combined.
4. Add flour mixture until just combine and there are no clumps, stir in chocolate chips.
5. Scoop batter into lined cupcake pan (I use an ice cream scoop) and bake for 28 minutes, turning pan halfway through for even cooking. When toothpick tester inserted into center cupcake comes out with a few crumbs and melted chocolate (from the chips,) cupcakes are done. The tops will not spring back when pressed. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before finish cooling on a wire rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting of choice (I use coffee) and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, these look amazing! I'll have to give them a try after I'm done losing my mind because of BayCon/end of the school term. Check my blog sometime tonight for the Mountain Dew cupcakes I'm making. :D

    ReplyDelete